Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Can Art Change Society

Bailey Blossman
Can Art Change Society?

After reading this packet, I have mixed emotions on how art affects society. I am under the impression that society can change art. Issues that exist in society are displayed by the artist from their on perspective. But, at the same time if there are all of these works coming from artists about certain issues (racism, eating disorders, slavery) then “society” may start to feel differently and change.

Social issues can shape are for decades after they have been addressed. Willie Cole’s work with irons is reflecting back and showing how slavery was a serious issue that affected thousands of African-Americans. Cole’s tribute was created many years after slavery was abolished and after the US Civil rights movement. My answer to this question would have to be yes, art can change society – but I still ask myself: can society change are equally as much?

No comments: